Yes You Can, Can!

Yes You Can, Can!

Yes, I know. I’m not normally one for posting recipes but I’m making an exception for today. Christy Jordan did me a huge favor and to thank her I gave her a jar of jelly I made this week. She very graciously posted a picture of it on her Facebook page and several of her readers asked for the recipe. So…here goes!

Every Fall I’m always shocked by the number of people that say things like “I wish I knew how to can!”

Y’all…it’s not rocket science. It’s hardly even science! Here’s a little secret: In most cases, it’s way easier than you think.

Having said that I present to you the recipe for

*Drum Roll Please*

Caramel Apple Jelly Recipe

Caramel Apple Jelly

Caramel Apple Jelly

7 Half Pint Jars

8 Winesap Apples (Chopped)

1/3 cup of H2O

2 tbsps unsalted butter

3 cups (firmly packed) light brown sugar

1 3/4 cup white sugar

1 1/2 packs of Sure-Jell

1) Toss the apples, water, and a TBSP of the butter into a big ole pot. Bring it to a boil and then reduce and cover it (I used a super fancy method entitled ‘Use a Big Plate Because You Can’t Find The Lid To Your Pot.’) When the apples are soft (about 15 minutes) mix in the sugars, Sure Jell, and the other TBSP of butter. Cook at a boil for two minutes without stirring (try to avoid yelling at your husband when he comes by and stirs because he is being helpful)

2) Put the jelly in super hot jars…

Hold up – most recipes call for you to use a double boiler to sterilize your jars before you put the jelly in. I have no idea what a double boiler is and I do it the way my Mom (who is a champion canner) does it. Stick it in the dishwasher and time it so the jars are still hot when you take them out. Again, it’s not rocket science.

…wipe the rims with a wet paper towel and then screw lids and rims (that need to be on the stove in simmering water) onto jars. Listen for the next few hours for the jars to make that most magnificent of sounds – the pop that means it sealed.

The sad news is this recipe only makes about 7 half-pint jars and your husband will probably eat an entire one the first day.

Enjoy!

Comments

1. Heather says:

I was wondering your thoughts on substituting pears for apples? I have a pear tree and I’m wanting to use them up! Thanks!

• Paula Claunch says:

Have you thought of making pear honey? My Mom made it this year and it is amazing. All it is is pears, crushed pineapple, and sugar! Google it. : )

2. Billy says:

Great job on the new site!

3. Karen warren says:

Yummy! Thanks for the recipe. Gonna have to try to try that.

4. Kim Day says:

I can’t wait to try this, thanks for the recipe!!!!

5. Roger Alder says:

this sounds awsome and I cant wait to try it. do you not have to hot water bath the finished jelly? Every receipe I’ve seen says too so I’m just courious.
    Thanks
    Roger

• Paula says:

I can’t remember when I stopped doing the hot water bath! I mean, yes, experts say to do it but I haven’t done it in years and my jelly turns out great. It could be because the jars and lids are boiling hot when I put the jelly in since the jars are fresh out of the dishwasher and the lids have been sterilized in boiling water. Or it could just be a testament to the Sure Jell. ; )
      Paula recently posted…Labor Day LoveliesMy Profile

• nancee bennett says:

The USDA does recommend using the water bath method for jellies and jams for 10 minutes. Latest update in canning jar lids, according to the manufacture of Ball’s, canning jar lids no longer need to be boiled prior to use.

6. Macenna says:

SO….since I’m just too cheap to buy apples, how much apple juice could I use instead of the actual apples?

• Paula says:

Yikes! I have no clue! Google away!
      Paula recently posted…Cutting in LineMy Profile

• nancee bennett says:

Macenna….if you want to use apple juice as a means of canning jelly, check out specific recipes for using apple juice such as Ball’s. The sure-jell insert is loaded with tons of jam and jellies recipes as well. Generally speaking, if using apple juice as an alternative, authorities such unsweetened apple juice, such as Mott’s. Good luck!

• Candice says:

I don’t think you would be able to use apple juice because the jelly wouldn’t thicken up, you could try it though but my mom makes strawberry and if the berries aren’t firm then the jelly is watery.

• nancee bennett says:

I have read many posts from home canners that have had recipes not jelling when they have added apple juice….but I can’t help but wonder if they had used sweetened apple juice. Sweetened apple juice may have sugar as an additive. Jam and jelly recipes need to remain accurate in their amounts of sugar, even not using a better grade of sugar like Domino’s can affect the jelling process. I always use unsweetened apple juice in my recipes and never have had a problem…Hope this helps.

7. Hi, i think that i saw you visited my site thus i got here to go back the want?.I am attempting to to find things to enhance my website!I assume its adequate to use some of your concepts!!
    Doulci Download recently posted…Doulci DownloadMy Profile

8. Janet says:

Not to sound stupid, but do you peel the apples? Thanks!

9. M elliott says:

Did you use powdered or liquid sure jel? Thanks!

• Powdered – I’ve never tried the liquid!

• nancee bennett says:

If a recipe calls for powdered pectin, strictly use the powdered. Same goes for liquid pectin…they won’t jell correctly if interchanged. The powdered pectin is added at the beginning of the recipe, while the liquid pectin is added at the final stage of jelly making. The sequence of when these pectins are added, is when the jelling factor is activated. If either or is not added at the correct time in the cooking process, it will not form a jelled jelly or jam. A box of powdered pectin, such as Sure jell is the measurement of 5 TBSP…but if you use an alternate powdered pectin such as Ball’s classic, you need to adjust the amount of pectin to 6 TBSP, or you face the possibility of the jam/jelly not jelling.

10. cruzin25 says:

Do you strain the apple chunks out or just can them in the jelly?

11. Laurie says:

sounds amazing, so no waterbath needed?

• I’ve never done one.
      Paula Claunch recently posted…A Date With Morticia…My Profile

• nancee bennett says:

Always water bath jams and jellies. There is always a possibility of molds forming on your canning goods. Best to abide by USDA guidelines for food safety. My suggestion to you would be purchase a good home canning updated Ball home preservation book..its loaded with tons of recipes and correct and safe information.

12. silkymist says:

No you can’t can….butter!

• nancee bennett says:

No you can’t can butter such as butter from dairy products. The density is to thick for the necessary processing temperature to reach. Considered an unsafe canning practice. There are also vegetables that can’t safely be pressure canned if they are pureed, like pumpkin, squash, and potatoes, both white and sweet potatoes. There again the density is too thick for the internal temperature to retard against organisms. Always check with the USDA food preservation sites, or a good resource such as Ball’s for safe home canning methods and techniques…I can’t emphasize that enough. Internet resources including recipes may or may not be safe recipes or practices.

13. Kathleen says:

I live in a small town and can’t get Winesap apples. I am going to substitute with honey crisp apples. About how many cups of chopped apple do I need. The honey crisp are big!

14. Amelia says:

about how long does stay good before expiring?

• Oh goodness! I don’t know. I usually eat it before it has a chance to go bad. Google it. ; ) Thanks for stopping by!

• nancee bennett says:

Canned goods have about a shelf life of about 1 year. Keep in a cool dark location. Many home preservations recommend not stacking your canned goods on top of each other, or can result in a lid failure. But if you need to stack your jars, place cardboard or other firm means to support your jars. I put my canned goods back in their original carton if available.

15. Alicia says:

How long do I have to let the jars simmer?

Trackbacks

1. […] I mean, sure I posted about the amazing Caramel Apple jelly I made last Fall but for the most part I leave that to the blogging professionals. […]

2. Justin Peatling